[Pmwiki-users] Multiple wiki dev questions/comments Re: Dev Q: Need(?) more SubGroups

Crisses crisses
Fri Apr 30 06:30:08 CDT 2004

On Apr 28, 2004, at 6:19 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> This isn't to say that wikifarms aren't useful or needed -- I'm still
> working on an official implementation for those along the lines of what
> Crisses described -- it's just that I think multiple calendars should
> be possible without having to use wikifarms to achieve it.

Is there anything I can do to help out?  I can help think or I can help
test...I *might* be able to help code or debug.

I can see it being very easy to test the multiple installation
idea...right now I have a php file named "wiki" (resides in
/home/crisses/public_html/) and I could as easily have a php file named
"test" with the required code in it, if the actual php wrapper has the
variable definitions in it....

The text of my personal file named "wiki" is:
<?php chdir("/home/crisses/public_html/pmwiki"); include("pmwiki.php");
?>

And this cleans up the URL for my wiki installation.  "Wiki" is defined
by .htaccess to be a php file, and I could as easily add a similar
definition for "test" so that I can run a test pmwiki via the new
method without breaking my current one, as long as the wiki.d files
remain compatible between the version I have live and the test version
:) (well, it would work until I hit a link anyway...the config.php file
should be the same one and would define links that would go back to the
original installation...oops...I suppose I could write a test case in
the config.php that would define the wiki URL dependent on whether I
was running the test version or the wiki version :) there you go...that
makes sense.)

Assuming the server version of pmwiki is installed at
/usr/share/pmwiki/ then the test wrapper would probably read something
like:

<?php chdir("/home/crisses/public_html/pmwiki");
include("/usr/share/pmwiki/pmwiki.php"); ?>

Although I'm not sure if this behavior would work for things like
scripts and wikilib.d files in the server directories being the
fall-back if there are none in the user directory area.

OR
variables would be defined in the wrapper script, maybe something like
this...

<?php
$USER_FILE_AREA = "/home/crisses/public_html/pmwiki";
chdir("/usr/share/pmwiki");
include("pmwiki.php");
?>

And regardless of how this portion is set up, PmWiki would have to be
altered to have a set behavior of which files are checked first, and
which ones it falls back to if it fails to find files.  I'm sure some
sites would prefer that PmWiki default to the server files first (such
that people don't change the PmWiki documentation files), and others
would prefer that it default to the user files first (maybe they want
to customize those PmWiki documentation files...?)...so maybe that
behavior should have a default behavior than can be redefined in
config.php?

Crisses
----
If I could change, I would, Take back the pain, I would
Retrace every wrong move that I made, I would
If I could stand up and take the blame, I would
If I could take all the shame to the grave, I would
  -- Linkin Park, Easier to Run