[Pmwiki-users] Dev Q: Need(?) more SubGroups

John Rankin john.rankin
Thu Apr 29 00:00:15 CDT 2004

On Thursday, 29 April 2004 10:19 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>It's always been my feeling that the calendar module should allow
>multiple, separate calendars within a single wiki (i.e., without
>the use of a wiki farm.)

It does. Using the farm is just an added convenience, for example to
apply a common template, but you don't have to if you don't want to.

>... or with names other than just the date
>(e.g., "MyGroup/Meetings-2004-04-21", "MyGroup/Events-2004-04-21", etc.).
>The calendar module I'm writing will allow this (it also has built-in
>internationalization support).

The original calendar design goal was to implement the smallest
set of functions that would still be useful. So at the time some of
those features went in the "nice but not essential" basket.

And "MyGroup/Meetings-2004-04-21", "MyGroup/Events-2004-04-21" look
suspiciously like an example of Steve's sub-groups. And I seem to
remember that the advice then was to do "MyGroupMeetings/2004-04-21",
"MyGroupEvents/2004-04-21".

>This isn't to say that wikifarms aren't useful or needed -- I'm still
>working on an official implementation for those along the lines of what
>Crisses described -- it's just that I think multiple calendars should
>be possible without having to use wikifarms to achieve it.

I have a nasty feeling that the official farm will break our local one.
Perhaps I should be more patient and just wait for official stuff.

--
JR