[Pmwiki-users] strange paths

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Apr 26 20:34:46 CDT 2004

Marcus-

Alas, not all servers/web hosting providers support the PATH_INFO
syntax that allows information to appear after a script name.
This is especially true in environments where PHP is being run
as a CGI script instead of as an embedded apache module.  A full
description of the problem is available at http://www.pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users_pmichaud.com/2004-April/004365.html -- highly recommended
reading for this problem.

The first thing to do (after reading the above) is to try setting
$EnablePathInfo=1 in your config.php file.  This will tell PmWiki to
format links in the form path/to/pmwiki.php/GroupName/PageName instead
of the ?pagename= format, which PmWiki has chosen to use because it
thinks that the first form isn't likely to work.  Setting $EnablePathInfo=1
overrides PmWiki's "guess".

However, just because PmWiki can generate links to pages in the
form path/to/pmwiki.php/GroupName/PageName, that doesn't mean that the
webserver will accept them as such.  If clicking on such a link results
in a 404 Page Not Found error, then the webserver isn't configured
to handle PATH_INFO, and this is largely outside of PmWiki's ability
to do anything with it without some outside help or tricks borrowed
from http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/ChangePmWikiURL.

I'll be glad to help troubleshoot things in any way that I can.
I'd need to see the results of setting $EnableDiag=1 and executing
pmwiki.php with the ?action=diag option.

Pm