[Pmwiki-users] unix crypt passwords vs. md5 hash

Patrick Ogay lists
Thu Apr 22 02:25:36 CDT 2004

> This was the situation I ran into...  On my laptop I used for
> development the version of PHP I was using used the equivalent of the
> Unix crypt command, where my main server was using MD5.  Lucky for me
> I didn't have to many password protected pages and I was able to
> remove the protection by editing the files directly.

I run into the situation, that my provider changed something, I
actually  never found out what. .
But crypt() returned a string of  34  (before it was 13).
It took quite a while, until I found where the problem was.

Proposal:
Is it possible to put an  err-msg, in case the strings are not the same
length. Or the algorithm should be checked.

Regards
Patrick Ogay