[Pmwiki-users] Re: simultaneous edit corruption?

Tom Cato Amundsen tca
Fri Apr 9 14:16:37 CDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 09:14:29AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 09:02:25AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 12:48:07AM -0700, Konstantin Zadorozhny wrote:
> > >     Why dont do that the way CVS "kind of" solves that problem? On page
> > > submit try to merge two versions of page. If any conflicts happend don't
> > > update database and let the submitter to resolve them. Then user can repeat
> > > to submit page again. That is pretty simple and well known approach for me.
> >
> > Simple?  What's the algorithm for performing the merge and finding
> > the conflicts?  I'll be happy to implement it if it's indeed a "simple"
> > algorithm.
>
> Never mind, I'll just write it to use diff3 (an external program commonly
> available on most unix systems) and be done with it.  I'll also update
> the WinDiff distribution to include the diff3.exe program.  :-)
>
> Out of curiosity, how many Windows installations are using the WinDiff
> package I put together and have it working well for them?

I use it. I've got some very limited hosting on surftown.nu, running php
in safe mode, and I am not allowed to run the real patch and diff. It
seems to work ok.

Tom Cato Amundsen <tca at gnu.org>                 http://www.solfege.org/
GNU Solfege - free ear training    http://www.gnu.org/software/solfege/