[Pmwiki-users] AdminQ2 - Problems with directory permissions on Unix server

Steven Leite steven_leite
Thu Apr 1 20:33:25 CST 2004

>>    PmWiki refused to run.

> What does "refused to run" mean here?  I mean, what error message did you
> get?

I don't remember now, but I really want to help make this easier for other
folks, so I'm going to do a fresh install and document "each head-ache" as
it arrises, all the steps I have tried to fix it, any solutions I find, and
the final outcome.  I'll send you a report when I'm done.

>>    After  days  of  trying  .. I tried out of desperation this script to
>>    modify permissions on the wiki.d directory.
>
> Did you try the "fixperms.php" script that comes with PmWiki?

Yes.  It didn't work.  But it was the fixperms.php script that inspired me
to write the php coded snippet that finally did fix my problem.  After
looking at the fixperms.php script, I started to get new ideas about how I
might fix my problem.

The fixperms.php script seemed to be for fixing specific pages, not the
entire wiki.d folder (?).  Anyways, I'm not sure, but when I ran it, nothing
seemed to change.  Maybe I didnt' run it properly.  I'll try again on this
new install and let you know what happens.

> >    I  wonder if we can't invest some time in making this easier for
other
> >    users?

> We probably need a Cookbook recipe or documentation page that describes
> how to do backups and restores of PmWiki systems, including migration
> to another server.

Yesterday I started to write a Cookbook recipe, but as you know my PHP
skills are .. well, lacking .. so I gave up after about 1 hour.  I'm not
familiar with all of the unix sytem/file commands.  I tried looking at your
code and I understood about 85% of it, but that's 15% too little :)

> >    You plop it in any folder on the
> >    system,  make it executable, and voila .. it goes and does it's
thing.
> >    It doesn't bother you about file permissions to make this directory
or
> >    that directory.

> Given the amount of traffic that has crossed the listserv on this topic
> lately I may see if I can write a longer article about it.

That would be extremely useful.  Thanks.

> Pm

-Steven Leite