[pmwiki] Re: [Pmwiki-users] Whitepaper about markup strategy

Bernhard Weichel in pmwiki-users pmwiki-users at b-weichel.2in.de
Fri May 16 17:20:51 CDT 2003

Dawn Green wrote:
>> Collaboration means that the collaborators are somewhat on the same
>> level. So if there is collaboration in a particular enviroment, why
>> shoudn't they have advanced markup. I am thinking of e.g. a bug
>> reporting wiki, where
>> the markup could even be generated using forms.
>
> I'm not sure I agree with Bernhard's thoughts here.  I finished
> speaking with a group today interested in implementing PmWiki for
> their site.  One of the strong selling points for this system is that
> everyone is give a set of markup to work with and, on that level, I
> like the KISS principal.

Yes, and the set of markup must be adequate for the application in question.
And if I have another application in mind than you do, please take into
account
that I probably want other markup.

In the sites we develop ourselves, we only
> use so many font styles, formats, etc.  So why offer the world to
> site authors when most of it would never be used in the first place?
> And to compound that, if the world was offered and used by a few then
> the site would not have a consistent look and feel.  And that would
> defeat what to me is a primary benefit of PmWiki.

So why do you use PmWiki? WikiStyles are already there and may be used to
kill consistent look and feel.

If you ready my contribution carefully you see that I am looking for a safe
and predictable way to add customized markup for particular applications
respectively collaborations. Using pgcust.php, I want to do this even
limited to a particular Wiki Group.

Using the self documenting approach editors can even get specific help.

So please try to understand my effort.

--b