[Pmwiki-users] searching

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon May 5 20:37:15 CDT 2003

Can I suggest a variation that is more consistent with the way PmWiki =
displays pages.
In the page header, we get:

Group /=20
BigTextPageName

Clicking on Group goes to the group's designated home.

How about in the search list we get:

GroupA /
  Page1
  Page2
  Page3
GroupB/
  Page7
  Page8
  page9

and so on. Clicking on GroupA takes you to the designated home (which may =
or may not also be in the list of pages). Clicking on a page takes you to =
the page.

I support keeping search as simple as possible (but no simpler). However, =
this change would bring the search results page into line with the way =
page headers display in version 0.4.x.

I am happy to try to come up with a script to do it.  JR

--=20
John Rankin

On Tuesday, 6 May 2003 10:08 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at sci.tamucc.=
edu> wrote:
On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 04:44:04PM -0400, Ross Kowalski wrote:
> I would like to suggest that whatever the default page for groups is
>=20
> GroupName/WelcomePage for instance, that we make that apear=20
> at the top of the list even if it is alphabetically in a different order.=

Um, should it be displayed even if the WelcomePage doesn't contain the
string being searched for?  Also, one could theoretically jump to a page
in a group, then follow a link from there to the Group's welcome page
(yes, I know it's an extra click and someone has to think to do it).

> The search results could be returned like (forgive the sacrelige)=20
> usemod does.  Usemod returns search results with the default=20
> group parent page then lists the daughter pages under it indented.

Ah, but PmWiki really doesn't have "daughter" pages in the same sense
the UseMod wiki does.  It just has a default page within a group.
However, I can see how the default page could be treated as a "parent"
page.

I continue to have hallucinations about possibly adding features to
greatly customize the search results page output (e.g., change the sort
order, display other items besides just the page name) but I feel like
that needs to be waaaay down on my priority list.

> I have not started using the latest release with the fancy search yet.

Ah.  In the latest release the search function is now in scripts/search.=
php
instead of pmwiki.php, so it'd be reasonably straightforward to replace =
the
search function with one you like better.  I'll probably modify search.php
to separate the "search" part from the "display" part so that people can
provide their own search result output without having to duplicate the
search algorithm itself.