[Pmwiki-users] [XHTML] My Experiment - Final local.php setup

John Feezell johnfeezell
Sun Jul 13 13:27:16 CDT 2003

Thanks.  It was interesting to develop.

I have made comments below using %comment% as a marker.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 09:26:57 -0600, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com>
wrote:

> John-
>
> This is excellent work, thanks!  I have a few observations and a few
> questions...
>
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 06:51:47PM -0500, John Feezell wrote:
>>
>> xhtml reference
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/NOTE-xhtml-media-types-20020801/
>
> This reference is *exactly* what I needed.  To summarize it for the
> group, XHTML documents SHOULD have a Content-Type of
> "application/xhtml+xml".  But at least one major browser (IE) doesn't
> support this yet.  Thus, the fallback position appears to be to use a
> Content-Type of "text/html" to have a browser render an XHTML document.
> If you use "text/xml", the browser may
> treat it as an XML application (IE displays it as an XML parse tree).

%comment% The above is my understanding of the situation currently.  It
seems to me that the "application/xhtml+xml" is on the "bleeding" edge of
development.  The safe path for now is "text/html" since I believe that it
would be correctly render in current browsers.  The use of "text/xml" is
possible but for final rendering in "html" format it requires the use of
css or xsl associated files.  IE 5.5 supports the xsl to some extend but I
know that Opera does not.
Some I believe confuse html and xml and believe that xml will totally
replace xml.  If fact they have different purposes and html or xhtml will
probably be around for a long time yet.
%%

>> $HTMLDoctypeFmt = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"
>> standalone="no" ?>
>> <!DOCTYPE html
>> PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
>> <head>';
>> $HTTPHeaders[] = "Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1";
>
> I'm curious--in the DOCTYPE, is there any particular reason for choosing
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd" over the W3C-
> recommended value of "DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"?
> (See http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/#docconf).

%comment%
For the http:// ... I simply used what was in the Cookbook/XHTML page.  If
the alternative form is better, then I would move to it.  If appears that
the reference should be as indicated above.
%%