[Pmwiki-users] Entities in [[reference text]]

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Jul 10 16:58:59 CDT 2003

Does anybody know of a way to add a local customisation to allow entities =
inside PmWiki's double bracket markup?

We have a wiki that includes some text in Maori, which uses macrons to =
denote long vowels. The Hawaiian language has a similar structure. What we =
have done is defined ā ē etc to translate into the =
corresponding Unicode values. There is an $InlineReplacements =
customisation to do this; it's the convention used in the DocBook SGML DTD.=

The limitation of this approach is that wiki markup of the form
  [[http://www.some.place/ Māori]]
doesn't do what we would like it to.

It's not obvious to this writer how we might add a local function to parse =
the text bit of a double bracketed reference to look for entities and =
treat them as we would like to.

In an ideal world, we would allow WikiWords to include macron vowels, but =
that's in the too hard basket at the moment. One of the problems is that =
removing a macron can radically alter a word's meaning. A convention that'=
s sometimes used is to double up the vowels to denote length. If I could =
handle macrons in the text of a [[...]]], I may be able to introduce an =
alternate free link markup to denote Maori page names:

((Koohanga Reo)) -> [[KoohangeReo Kōhanga Reo]]

Any suggestions would be welcome.
--=20
John Rankin