[Pmwiki-users] InterMap definitions

Dawn Green green at thunderdata.com
Mon Feb 17 18:10:35 CST 2003

A lot here ...

> sense to move intermap.txt, localmap.txt, and local.php to be somewhere
> else other than the pmwiki/ root, but I haven't figured out where yet.

Okay, now here again from the novice with little experience, but honestly, I
didn't and still don't understand why group specific 'stuff' is going into
local/ yet localmap.txt and local.php went into the root directory of PmWiki.
To me, *anything* that is specific to a group should go into local/.  Perhaps
that could be extended to thisgroup_local/ or thatgroup_local/.  If I
implement this with more than one group, am I correct in assuming that
localmap.txt will define the appropriate files to use?

> If someone wants to propose a new subdirectory structure for housing
> the various pmwiki-related files, I'm open for suggestions.  Propose
> what would be best w/o worrying about backwards compatibility.  I'm a
> bit concerned that I may soon reach a point where I have to decide
> between backwards compatibility and an important PmWiki improvement,

Eek!  Do it now, before you have too many users!

> > I worried about the change I made to trails.php to cope with
> > {{free links}} and will rename it x-trails.php.

I have not used trails and would love to see some documentation on how to
integrate them.  Does it exist?

> Actually, the need to do conditional (per-group) includes pretty much
> convinces me against trying to automate script includes, and aiming
> instead at really clear documentation for people about how to accomplish
> what they want.  I'm afraid that the per-group stuff will just really
> complicate the whole system waaaay too much.

Amen!

> One last comment--in general I'd prefer to *not* put too much
> administrative overhead in pmwiki.php -- i.e., it should be a separate
> script if it exists.  In general I think pmwiki.php needs to be efficient
> at loading and processing typical page loads, since in theory the
> non-administrative requests will greatly outnumber the administrative
> ones.  So, if we want to build systems to make it easier to configure
> pmwiki, perhaps those should be separate scripts or a separate subsystem.

Awoman! :)

Thunder Data Systems
719 South Shoreline
Suite 201