[Pmwiki-users] InterMap definitions

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Sun Feb 16 19:37:52 CST 2003

On Monday, 17 February 2003 12:48 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at sci.=
tamucc.edu> wrote:
On 17 Feb 2003, John Rankin wrote:

> Pluggable feature, and I wish it was easier to specify which features=20
> to include, rather than explicitly including file names.

Hmmmm... what do you have in mind...?  Doing include("scripts/plugin.php");=

seemed pretty easy to me, but I'm definitely open to other suggestions.

I had in mind something a bit more modular and self-documenting, while =
retaining ease of upgrade. I imagined a plugins.txt file that lists each =
plugin by name and a short description of what feature it provides. If the =
line starts with a #, the plugin is disabled. For example:

#maths    //gives support for mathematical equation markup
#sidebar  //floating text that the main body wraps around

A site administrator turns these on or off, and can add local =
customisation scripts. Enabling a plugin causes pmwiki.php to include("scri=
pts/plugin.php");

Each release could come with a newplugins.txt file and/or an allplugins.=
txt file.

Or, there could be a plugins.txt file that has the PmWiki plugin scripts =
and a localplugs.txt for local customisation scripts, but I can't think of =
an easy way to handle new releases without overwriting the plugins.txt =
settings. (Maybe the answer is to tell people to save their plugins.txt =
file before installing an upgrade)

This is a *low* priority, but I often find it hard to remember what's =
enabled and what's disabled and how they interact and what order they need =
to operate in.