[Pmwiki-users] Line breaks again

J. Perkins jason
Fri Aug 29 15:24:46 CDT 2003

I am sorry to bring this up again, but I seem to have developed a
pathological issue with the '[[<<]]' line break syntax. Actually, I have
an issue with *any* line break syntax...I believe that a newline should
start a new line.

<rant>
The idea of requiring markup to start a new line seems to go against the
PmPhilosophy. When Joe Schmoe user types an email, hitting enter starts
a new line. When he uses his word processor, hitting enter starts a new
line. When he edits code, hitting enter starts a new line. No one is
going to be surprised if starting a new line in the pmwiki editor
produces a newline in the output.

I have been working my way back through the archives but could not find
any justification for the current markup, other than "manual linebreaks
in the source also allow to easily use the cursor keys to navigate
within the text", which IMHO is a bunch of baloney, I can navigate
around this email just fine. In addition, I can cut-and-paste text from
one paragraph into the
middle of another paragraph and it doesn't end
up looking like this and requiring a bunch of manual fixups.

IMHO again, editing basic wiki text should be as easy as, as quite
similar to, writing an email, something anyone who is online should be
familiar with. So...

This is one line.
This is two lines.

This is a new paragraph. This is *bold*, and this is _italic_ (quite
possible your email client provided the appropriate text styles for you
there).

Ignoring a newline becomes the special case \
but there is already a well-known syntax \
for that case. Actually the [[<<]]
syntax makes sense here, since it gives the [[<<]]
impression of "pulling up" the line below.
</rant>

Okay I feel a little better now, just needed to get that off my chest.
Is there a way to customize my wiki to accept newlines? I've looked at
it a little bit but haven't figured it out yet. If I could change the
bold and italic formatting too, that would be a plus. The rest of the
markup I am quite happy with.

Sorry for the rant. Take it as a positive: this wouldn't annoy me so
much if the rest of the product weren't so great. Now I am off to
attempt a code syntax highlighter plugin...

Jason
379