[Pmwiki-users] A (perhaps) small desire for track authorship:

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Aug 14 08:06:51 CDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 08:40:25AM -0500, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:54:24AM +0200, Bernhard.Weichel at t-online.de wrote:
> > I have another hint/propsal/desired for "Track authorship":
> >
> > in wikipedia, the markup ~~~~ is replaced by a signature on *save time*.
> >
> > This allows in particular on discussion pages, to sign contributions
> > very easily.
>
> That's kinda cool.

Yeah, but Scott may remember that he and I discussed something like this
about a year ago and I felt it was somehow "unclean" to have PmWiki
making modifications to the markup text as it saved it and wanted to
avoid this.

> We don't currently have any hooks into save-time actions, but you could
> always create a local customization that overrides the HandlePost()
> function to add such a hook, and then another local customization to
> implement the above feature.

Actually, HandlePost() is likely to provide hooks that allow customizations
to specify an array of pre-save and post-save functions to be called when
a post occurs.  This would give local customizations the ability to perform
operations like this (and others) without having to chain HandlePost.
The diff routines would then make use of this hook instead of being
hardcorded, and could eventually be replaced by a PHP-based diff if/when
one is ever created.