[pmwiki] Re: [Pmwiki-users] discussion on line breaks

Bernhard.Weichel@t-online.de Bernhard.Weichel
Mon Aug 11 00:39:26 CDT 2003

Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
>> I was actually surprised that
>> * A bullet point[[<<]]
>> More text on the same bullet point.
>>
>> didn't work, whereas this works:
>> * A bullet point[[<<]]More text on the same bullet point.
>>
> Adding a line continuation character works too:
>
> * A bullet point[[<<]]  \
> More text on the same bullet point
>
> Hmm.. if you used '\\' as line break, this could look like:
>
> * A bullet point \\ \
> More text on the same bullet point
>
> This assumes that you don't require '\\' to be at the end of the
> line... in that case maybe '\\\' could be used to indicate line-break
> and continuation of paragraph, i.e.
>
> * A bullet point \\\
> More text on the same bullet point
>
> /Christian

The question with line breaks is:

Do we really need a line break markup which is embedded into
the text such as

* A bullet point [[<<]] more text

Or can we manage that line break markup is always a the end.

My personal preference is:

* single line breaks are never significant.
* single line breaks can be made significant by Markup
* blocks are separated always by two line breaks

this would cause a change in List markup (which IMHO is necessary
anyhow). I will write a separate message on lists.

 But simple tables have
a similar problem.

instead of

||border=1
|| cell 1.1 || cell 1.2 [[<<]]cell 1.3 || cell 1.4 ||

|| cell 2.1 || cell 2.2 [[<<]]cell 2.3 || cell 2.4 ||

||border=1
|| cell 1.1 || cell 1.2
cell 1.3 || cell 1.4 ||
|| cell 2.1 || cell 2.2
cell 2.3 || cell 2.4 ||

In this case the line ending with || makes the break significant.

If the user wants to make it easier to read:

||border=1
|| cell 1.1 || cell 1.2
cell 1.3 || cell 1.4 ||
\