[pmwiki] Re: [Pmwiki-users] pmwiki localization ?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Aug 4 08:11:49 CDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 12:45:30PM +0200, Bernhard.Weichel at t-online.de wrote:

> I had translated some pages by attaching a "DE" to the page name. But now I
> feel we should follow the approach to have a wikilib-<lang>.d which takes
> the translations. This would allow to adjust a proper search sequence e.g.
> in
> SDV($WikiLibDirs,array($WikiDir,"wikilib-de.d", "wikilib.d"));
> As long as not all pages are translated, this approach falls back to the
> original version provided the original pmwiki (by Patrick).

I thought about doing it this way but then decided against it.  I don't
think that we should require non-English pages to retain English titles.
So, by placing the pages within their own groups, they can remain internally
self-consistent, and make references to the English pages as appropriate
for those that do not exist.

> It should even be possible to do a proper translation update management,
> perhaps by maintaining time stamp and a link to the matching english page.

We may be able to do this by adding appropriate markup to the non-English
pages that links to the English versions of the pages they reference.

> I don't think it is a good idea to rename the pages or the wiki groups
> unless we have a proper naming scheme which is supported by PmWiki (see also
> the page fallback discussion).

I think I've decided that if we do ever have a fallback scheme, it's
going to probably be in the form of fallback groups and not fallback pages.
I.e., one could look for PmWikiDe.PageName, and if it doesn't exist then
the system falls back to PmWiki.PageName.

Anyway, we're not committed to any particular approach at this point,
and I figured it was more important to get something started for
testing/experimentation than to worry too much about having it be the
exact final implementation.  If we decide a change needs to be made we
can still make it without too much work involved.