[Pmwiki-users] WikiDocRoot ?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Aug 1 08:05:30 CDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 01:24:54PM +0200, Carlo Strozzi wrote:

> For the above reasons, I propose to introduce the new $WikiDocRoot
> configuration variable (which will default to $ScriptUrl), where
> the sysadmin can set the necessary url.

Seems very reasonable.  Should it be $WikiDocRoot or $WikiDocRootUrl or
$WikiRootUrl or ...?  I kinda like having variable names that make it
clear that the variable is supposed to be a url (as opposed to a file path).

> So, in my example, the proposed $WikiDocRoot would contain:
> *  http://some.server/~me/pmwiki
> and this would centralize this bit of information in local.php, rather than
> having to hard-code it explicitly in a few other files (redundant definitions
> are always a bad thing).

Agreed, although all of the modules I create are designed such that you
can override their location information in a central local.php file,
rather than having to modify other files.  But having a variable other than
$ScriptDir that other modules can easily reference makes very good sense.

Historically, $ScriptDir has been used for the wiki root because until
very recently the only thing that needed a url was the PmWiki logo image.
But since then we've started adding upload directories, and external CSS
documents (FlexLayout), and other skin files, and so it's probably past
time to add some sort of root variable definition.