[Pmwiki-users] update on pmwiki page load problem

Davis, James C. jdavis at cob.tamucc.edu
Tue Oct 29 12:55:30 CST 2002

I have solved the page load problem I was having, but I still do not know
its exact cause. It turns out that upgrading php from 4.1.2-7 to 4.1.2-7.3.4
fixed it. The former is the original version distributed with RedHat 7.3 and
the latter is an update released for 7.3. Again, the only php script that I
had a problem with was pmwiki and it only affected machines behind a
firewall or NAT. I confirmed this by doing some testing at home with my
d-link router. When I put my machine behind the router (which uses NAT, not
allowing incoming connections), it stopped working. When I put my machine in
the DMZ, so that all ports were open, it worked fine. This was very
consistent. I still don't know why it would behave this way (is the server
trying to initiate connections to the client and waiting for them to time
out before serving the page?), but it looks like it was a php bug that was
just triggered by pmwiki. Anyways, just wanted to let everyone know in case
anyone tries to run pmwiki on a stock install of RedHat 7.3.

James Davis