[Pmwiki-users] More on attachments

Andrew J. Camenga ajcam at ajcindustries.com
Mon Nov 25 14:13:38 CST 2002

> Message: 5
> From: "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at sci.tamucc.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Pmwiki-users] More on attachments
>
> Although the %style%...%% could be "nested/containerized",
> I've been thinking that it wouldn't have to be.  %style% can simply mean
> "apply this style to any text/markup that follows on the same line, up to
> the next %style% markup".  Thus one could write:
>
>    This text is %red% red, %green% green, and %blue% blue.%%  This text
>    is normal again.
>
> instead of having to have closing %%-tags, as in:
>
>    This text is %red% red, %% %green% green, and %% %blue%blue.%%.  This
>    text is normal again.
>
> Or put another way, the %% is not really a "close style tag"--it simply
> means "apply no style formatting for text/markup that follows on the
> same line, up to the next %style% markup".
>
> But perhaps this is just too much of a paradigm shift for all of the XML/
> HTML authors out there who are used to thinking mainly in terms of containers
> and nested tags.
>
> Pm

Of the suggestions made so far, I like this suggestion the best. It
provides the opportunity to indicate style quickly and in a way that
is quite readable and fairly easy to explain.

Andrew Camenga

P.S. I'm experimenting with pmwiki on a local network and
appreciate the work and thought that has gone into it so far.