[Pmwiki-users] More on attachments

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Sun Nov 24 14:28:58 CST 2002

At the risk of bringing the wrath of the Goodmarkup Gods and Goddesses =
down on my head...
--=20
John Rankin

On Thursday, 21 November 2002 6:42 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at sci.=
tamucc.edu> wrote:
> From john.rankin at affinity.co.nz Wed Nov 20 22:28:50 2002
>=20
> I agree, but ...
> I'm not sure it's a big deal. [...]
> The key question which I think you are suggesting is: "Would a naive=20
> author use this feature?"=20

Nope, that's not my key question at all.  My key question is and always
has been "what markup characters will make sense and look reasonable for=20
style-based markup?"  So far the primary suggestions have been {{...}} and=20
%style%...%% -- neither of which I'm terribly fond of.

[ ... ]
---

I'm afraid I'm more negative (and more positive) about both suggestions.

I propose the following option for consideration: <startwikimarkup>some =
content%style<endwikimarkup>

 My thinking goes like this:
- the text is more important than the style being applied to it, so when =
editing I don't want the style to get in the way

- the "inverted pyramid" writing style is a pretty good convention -- say =
the most important thing first, the least important thing last

- so could the style come *after* the text to which it refers?

If there is no existing markup to qualify with a style, the syntax would =
be {{some content%style}}.

Comments?  JR