[Pmwiki-users] File upload feature discussion

Davis, James C. jdavis at cob.tamucc.edu
Mon Nov 18 16:55:02 CST 2002

> I'm still dreaming of a user-selected association with a link syntax
> that works for any of them. I.e., the user gets to decide if the upload
> is associated with a page, group, or is site-wide and they use the same
> syntax to access any of them. Something like [[$Upload:file]] would
> cause PmWiki to search for file first as associated to a page, then
> group, then "global".

The problem with searching with an increasingly large scope is that you
don't know that it will return the same file every time. For example, if
more than one file can be named "title.jpg", which one will it get if there
are two on the system that are neither associated with the current page nor
it's group.

Can files be associated with a group, but not an individual page? Or even
have no association at all?

If this is the case, then the search might only be limited to: first the
current page, then files only associated with the group (not pages in the
group), then files with no association. This would ensure you get the
expected file, most of the time.

James Davis
Network Manager
College of Business