[Pmwiki-users] File upload feature discussion

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at sci.tamucc.edu
Mon Nov 18 14:29:57 CST 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Davis, James C. wrote:

> As I see it, the issues surrounding the file upload are that we don't want
> to have repetitive data (the same file stored many times), but we do want
> the files to be organized in a way that makes it easy for WikiAuthors to
> find them insert them into pages.  [...stuff deleted...]

Actually, the first issue (redundancy) is a non-issue from my perspective.
The only real issue is the second one--how to have files organized in a
way that makes it easy for WikiAuthors to upload them, find them, and
insert them into pages.  Thus it's primarily a user-interface issue
as opposed to an implementation one.

> The files
> could be associated with both WikiPages and WikiGroups so you could get a
> listing of all files for a page, for all pages in the group, or all files in
> the system (with thumbnails for images?). I would suggest links for "Page
> Files", "Group Files", and "All Files" on each page to see a listing of all
> associated files.

This is one of the areas I'm struggling with--how/where to list files?
Or is it even necessary?  Would it be sufficient to have a
"RecentAttachments" page similar to the "RecentChanges" page to maintain
a list of available attachments?  As it is now, PmWiki doesn't have
a mechanism to "list all pages" or "list all pages in a group" and doesn't
seem to suffer from it--why would we need those features for attachments?