[Pmwiki-users] WikiTrail loops

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at sci.tamucc.edu
Thu Nov 7 09:09:38 CST 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:

> It occurs to me that this feature would be more useful if it were a
> WikiOutline. A WikiTrail would just be an outline that's one level deep.

I thought of this possibility but the rendering gets kinda weird.
I couldn't come up with what the "Up one level" rendering should be.
Put another way: how should the <|...|> markup be rendered in an
outline (versus trail) format?  Or do you think it should render as
"Previous: PreviousPage Up: UpPage Next: NextPage"?  I think I like the
current trail rendering a bit better.

If one is willing to forego the "Up one level" link in the <|...|>
rendering, then the current implementation can be made to work with an
outline format--just have it honor second- and third-level
bullets as well as first-level bullets when constructing the trail.
What do you think?

> It would also be useful if it grabbed the first link within the list
> item rather than only the links that appear immediately after
> bullet markup.

This is probably reasonable, although the next (scary) step might be to
have it also grab links appearing in double brackets and use the substituted
text in the <|...|> rendering, and I'm not sure I want to go there.