[pmwiki-users] Questions about PTV and PTV mass edit

ABClf languefrancaise at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 15:39:40 PDT 2024

I understand your answer, thank you.
Here are more informations, to complete my question, in case someone has advice.

At first stage, what I am planning to do are very basic and tiny replacements ;
for example, I would like to able to replace things such as :

édition :
with
edition :

I guess I have around 20 terms to get replaced, affecting a few
thousands of pages.

For such a basic task (one word replacement, no multiline, no link
affected), I would believe unix tools to be effective – as long as you
know how to use them safely ;) – rather than playing with PmWiki API
(first : far out of my knowledge ; second : I may have a lot of pages
to process and it looks like overkill to edit/save hundreds or
thousands pages for a one (or 10) word replacement).

Also, for such a cosmetic/minor/negligible task, I don't mind about
the diff ; I do restore pages sometimes, but not often, and I should
be able to check the restored copy twice.

I understand it is much better to preserve timestamp replacement
(sure, I don't want to touch the unix time= data and indeed I do use
fastcache recipe).

At least, it is true that PmWiki file text format is somewhat tricky
(to me, it is one of the very few things I regret with PmWiki) but the
planned task would have very minimal impact and is expected to be
quite easy.

I didn't dare to use Anomen's XMLPageStore for my main site (if
something bad happens will I be able to fix it ? if there is no more
support in case of PHP incompatibility ?) but I do use it for a
private and less important part with success. Wiki.d files created
with that script are a lot cleaner.  No idea about the security
issues.

As for .pageindex creation, it takes long but it worked last time it
ran ; nevertheless I'm not sure the server does like the experiment
too much ; and because it is quite a big and long task in my case, I'm
limited to regen .pageindex only if needed.

Thank you,
Gilles.