[pmwiki-users] RFC: AVIF format

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Mon Feb 26 01:00:28 PST 2024

I've added the AVIF and AVIFS file extensions as allowed attachments,
and as image extensions to be embedded. This is now in Subversion and
should be available for 2.3.32.

I'd advise wiki writers to test how their AVIF(S) pictures work in
different browsers -- at least Chrome and Firefox.

While most reference files from a sample set[*] appear to work, some
files with specific "profiles" (color spaces, depths) may fail, in
either Chrome, or Firefox, or both.

I suspect these profiles target professional image processing rather
than web publishing. Also browser support should hopefully improve with
time.

Petko

[*] https://github.com/link-u/avif-sample-images