[pmwiki-users] Search with non-ascii characters in url q= parameter

Hans design1 at softflow.uk
Tue Jan 24 01:50:33 PST 2023

Hello Pmwiki-users,

Normal search using a search box works fine, when the query string contains special non-ascii characters.
For instance searching for pages with "Bär" gets the right results, and "Bär" appears in the search box, and in the URL bar I got the entry:
http://localhost/softflow/test?n=Site.Search&action=search&q=B%E4r
so the "ä" character is rendered as "%E4".

Using a Context Search add-on (for Firefox) I can grab text with non-ascii characters and have that string given to PmWiki as a url q= parameter. But PmWiki does not like that, and garbles it.
In the example the url parameters will read: ....?n=Site.Search&action=search&q=Bär
and the search will fail, and the Search page displays with "Bär" in the search box, not the string I want to search for.

The "Select and Search" Firefox add-on is set up for a PmWiki search like this:
http://localhost/softflow/test?n=Site.Search&action=search&q=%s
In a search the %s gets replaced with a highlighted text string using a context menu option to use this add-on with this search option.

So my question is: could PmWiki handle special non-ascii  characters in url parameters for a search query?

If I use google search engine, it shows no  problems with special characters being provided via url parameters.

Best regards,
 Hans
mailto:design1 at softflow.uk