[pmwiki-users] What is the best php version to use now ?

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Mon Jan 27 12:56:20 PST 2020

On 27/01/2020 20:43, nikos wrote:
> I did some mentioning in the pmwki.org for a few recipes I've found...
>
>   Cookbook.Svg-Talk . . . 2019-12-05 02:36 by nikos?: problem with php
> 7.2 (+134)

This has been available in the core out of the box since 2.2.85 about 4
years ago (2016-03-31)

Insert the svg in your page like you would insert another image. All
browsers released in the last 8 years support it:
https://caniuse.com/#feat=svg-img

>   Cookbook.Audio5-Talk . . . 2019-12-05 02:32 by nikos?: problem with
> php 7.2 (+133)
>   Cookbook.Video5-Talk . . . 2019-12-05 02:29 by nikos?: problem with
> php 7.2 (+128)
>   Cookbook.Flowplayer-Talk . . . 2019-12-05 02:22 by nikos?: problem
> with php 7.2 (+124)
>   Cookbook.Flash-Talk . . . 2019-12-05 02:16 by nikos?:

The authors of these recipes may not check the Talk pages, maybe try to
contact them via e-mail.

I wrote and maintain a "competing" addon
https://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Ape that does video and audio among
other embedded content, and there are other recipes for audio and video
-- there are solutions and you have a choice.

BTW Flash has reached end of life, and is no longer officially supported
by browsers.

>   Cookbook.DotsInLinks <--- for PmWiki versions 2.2.55 and older

It is not only

   "Cookbook.DotsInLinks for PmWiki <= 2.2.55"

that doesn't work with PHP 7.2. It is

   "all of PmWiki <= 2.2.55"

that doesn't work with PHP 7.2.

Indeed, since 2.2.55 I have been busy publishing and documenting 70
(seventy) PmWiki versions and written 3 different versions for that same
recipe.

There are even busier people who simply cannot find the time to upgrade,
and their hosting provider finally got them. :-)

My company provides upgrade and migration services (for hire) to busy
people for any PmWiki installation including addons -- get in touch.

> Maybe add them to the list (category)?
> I am not certain, though, that it is php 7.2 that breaks them.

We add the recipes that we know to work in PHP 7.2 to the category
[[!PHP72]]. Currently 207 Cookbook pages and 76 skins are listed there:

   https://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Category/PHP72

If a recipe is not there, test it but assume it might not work in PHP
7.2.

Petko