[pmwiki-users] invitation links?

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Tue Nov 19 14:01:42 PST 2019

Caleb and list

If all you want to do is allow downloads of "hidden" documents, there is
a very easy way to do it with no programming required.

Suppose your wiki URL is something like
https://secure.eton.ca/neil/index.php/Main/HomePage

And you want to allow users to download items without logins, but make
them somewhat private.

In your wiki directory structure, create a randomized folder name such
as "iamrandom" inside "uploads". Place your file(s) in that folder.

Provide a link like this to your trusted users:
https://secure.eton.ca/neil/uploads/Main/iamrandom/hiddendownload.txt

Note that the exact path depends on how you store uploads on your site.

The user has to know BOTH the folder random name and the file name, and
you can make the folder random name as arbitrarily complex as you wish
within the OS filename length limits.

Does that work for you? (The links above are real if you wish to test
it.) I would be interested to know if there is a way to get around this
other than brute-force name guessing.

Neil

On 2019-11-19 4:32 PM, Caleb Malchik wrote:
> Services such as Discord and Google Docs allow you to distribute an
> "invitation link" which gives access to a document or channel.  The user
> doesn't have to make an account or even type in a password.  Would it be
> feasible to implement something like this in PmWiki?
>
> Perhaps this could be accomplished by accepting passwords as query
> parameters, and storing a permanent cookie which remembers that this user
> has been invited.  Maybe this would be better suited for -devel, but I am
> curious to hear if this would be useful to other users.
>
> Regards,
> Caleb

Neil Herber