[pmwiki-users] Have a canonical url declaration : how to ?

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sun Mar 4 15:04:04 CST 2018

Add this in config.php to insert a canonical link in the page header:

   if ($action == 'browse')
    $HTMLFooterFmt['canonical'] = '<link rel="canonical"
href="{$PageUrl}" />';

If your wiki is accessible both through HTTP and HTTPS, you should
select one of those and set correctly the $ScriptUrl variable.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'have such canonical thing if "action"
pages'.

If you want to set as canonical the base "browse" URL on ?action=edit,
diff, upload, print and other action pages, remove the first line above.

If you want to set the action URL as a canonical URL, add after the
above lines:

   else $HTMLFooterFmt['canonical'] =
     '<link rel="canonical" href="{$PageUrl}?action='.$action.'" />';

Note that search engines and bots are usually blocked when they try to
access ?action=edit and similar pages.

All these canonical urls will not work well for pages where you have
(:pagelist ... request=1:) or if you use a recipe like HttpVariables or
MultiLanguage that take information from the URL to display different
content. (But neither will FastCache.)

Petko