[pmwiki-users] New installation of pmwiki in /home/user/public_html/ with apache and php7.2

Christopher Pinon cjpinon at linuxshell.xyz
Sun Jun 24 04:37:45 PDT 2018

Hi,

I'm completely new to pmwiki and have just tried to install the latest
version (2.2.107) on two servers. Both servers are running apache and
are set up for userdir and php.

Server 1 (running NetBSD with apache and php7.1): I unpack the pmwiki
archive in /home/user/public_html/ as "pmwiki" and assign ownership
recursively to apache, which on NetBSD amounts to "chown -R www:www
pmwiki/". I then visit https://server.net/~user/pmwiki/pmwiki.php and
the "Welcome to PmWiki!" appears. :-) So all is good.

Server 2 (running Ubuntu 18.04 with apache and php7.2): I unpack the
pmwiki archive in /home/user/public_html/ as "pmwiki" and assign
ownership recursively to apache, which on Ubuntu amounts to "chown -R
www-data:www-data pmwiki/". I then visit
https://server.net/~user/pmwiki/pmwiki.php and I get a "404 Not Found"
page, more specifically, the message is "The requested URL
/~user/pmwiki/$pageurl was not found on this server." :-( So something
isn't right.

Question: Could this difference be due to php7.1 (on server 1) vs php7.2
(on server 2)?

I originally thought that the difference was due to some difference in
configuration of apache on the two servers, but if it is, I haven't yet
been able to find the crucial difference in configuration. By the way,
both servers are happily running Nextcloud without issues.

Another by the way: if I follow the same steps on server 2 but with the
latest version of dokuwiki instead, dokuwiki works.

I would be grateful for any clues.

C.