[pmwiki-users] PmWiki for a Writer? (Long)

Bob Mueller bobmueller at ravensbeak.com
Fri Sep 18 23:57:43 CDT 2015

Greetings all. I've got some feasibility and strategic questions about
using PmWiki.

I'm looking to use a wiki for a series bible. That's where you keep all
of your information about characters and settings and locations across a
series. I've been using Word docs and Excel spreadsheets, but that's a
kludgy approach, and won't scale well, I think. Wikis are perfect for
the idea, and I think PmWiki will be just what I want.

I'll be the only user and admin for the foreseeable future. I have my
own domain and a good web host.

I have two book series that I want to use this for. Series1 has 2 books
done, and a 3d in progress. Series2 has 6-7 books planned.

I want the sections for the unwritten or in-progress books to stay
private until the books are published. Then I'll open them up for public
viewing (but almost certainly not editing) as each book is published.

So am I talking about multiple groups here? I think I am, based on the
documentation I've read.

If I set up a Series1 group, can I also set up Book1, Book2, and Book3
subgroups? And for MainCharacter, I don't have to replicate his page
across all three subgroups, right?

But is this (all these subgroups) really the best way to handle it? Os
is there something a little bit more elegant?

Lastly (for now), if I want to make my character pages look almost
exactly like
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jack_Ryan_(character) for
example, how difficult is it to set up what Wikipedia calls an infobox
on the right side like that? I wasn't sure that Wikipedia and PmWiki use
the same term for that construct, and I don't think I was finding what I
needed in the docs or the Cookbook.

Thanks much for any help here.

--
Bob Mueller