[pmwiki-users] after update - unable to edit

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Oct 20 10:12:39 CDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 11:21:08AM +0200, Petko Yotov wrote:
> Another way to check the permissions is to let PmWiki create a directory and
> a file. Rename "wiki.d" on the server to another name, say "renamed-wiki.d",
> then PmWiki will create a new 'wiki.d' and will add files in it. Visit the
> wiki in your browser and make a few edits, like HomePage and WikiSandbox.
> Then you'll see the newly created files in the new wiki.d directory and you
> can compare their permissions with the ones of renamed-wiki.d. If this is a
> permissions issue, the permissions will be different, so match them, remove
> the new "wiki.d" and rename back "renamed-wiki.d" to "wiki.d". To see/change
> permissions with an FTP browser, right-click on a file or files and select
> Permissions or Properties.

Another (possibly simpler) approach to try is to rename "wiki.d" to
"wiki.d-backup", run PmWiki to let it create a new "wiki.d" directory,
then copy the files from wiki.d-backup into wiki.d .  (I suggest doing
a copy instead of a move so you still have the originals lying around.)

In most PHP environments, it's the permissions of the wiki.d directory
itself that matters for updating, and not the permissions of the files
within the wiki.d directory.