[pmwiki-users] blank line at start of html output

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Mon Apr 28 01:35:35 CDT 2014

John Rankin writes:
> One more piece of information: removing the ?> from the end of the backup
> script makes no difference -- still getting a blank line at the start of the
> page source.

Your messages seem to indicate that when the wiki loads either
includeurl.php, or backup_pages.php, or both, there is exatcly one, not two,
blank line ("\n") at the top of the HTML output, but when both recipes are
commented out and not loaded, there is no blank line(s).

Can you confirm this?

If yes, I'd check if this is not some Byte Order Mark (BOM), ie. files were
modified with a text editor and saved in "UTF-8 encoding with BOM", while
they should be saved "without BOM" in a text editor which allows this.

If no, I'd check any and all files in the pmwiki/local and pmwiki/cookbook
directories for a closing "?>" marker and for a BOM. And all files that the
person may have modified in the pmwiki/scripts directory.

A BOM for UTF-8 contains 3 characters "\xEF\xBB\xBF". If you don't use a
compatible text editor, they may appear as weird characters, space(s) or may
be hidden/invisible - not exactly a new line, but may break some parsers.

I tested the two recipes with both PHP 5.3 and 5.5 and I only get a blank
line with backup_pages.php before I remove the "?>" tag.

Petko