[pmwiki-users] Help in embedding quicktime video

Tamara Temple tamouse.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 21:59:38 CST 2013

On Nov 26, 2013, at 11:20 AM, Michael Benjamin <mikerb at mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi - I'm looking for a little help on how to embed quicktime movies.
> I checked out the page:
>
>  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/QuickTime
>
> I did the installation and edited config.php. All fine. My question is in the syntax:
>
>  (:quicktime Attach:myfile.ext arg1=someting arg2=something:)
>
> The page says "use the normal Attach: syntax". But the Attach: sytax seems to be closely tied to enabling uploads, which I'm not interested in.
>
> I just want to have a local directory with videos in my pmwiki tree from which I can embed videos. So if my tree were:
>
> mywebsite/
>  pmwiki/
>  myvids/
>    movie.mov
>
> I was hoping to	embed a	video with something like:
>
>  (:quicktime Path:/mywebsite/myvids/movie.mov :)
>
> It seems I need	to instead use:
>
>  (:quicktime Attach:movie.mov :)
>
> but where does "Attach:" look for things on the	local file system?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mike

Hi, Mike,

Taking a look at the source for that recipe, it looks like it parses the first parameter up to the first ":" and acts on it like so:

if it equals "Attach", then it follows the convention of pmwiki in displaying files from the upload directory, possibly modified by Groupname and Pagename.

otherwise, if it equals "http", then it treats the first parameter as a fully-qualified url.

to do what you want, i think, do:

  (:quicktime http://mydomain.com/myvids/movie.mov :)