[pmwiki-users] another utf 8 question

Maria McKinley mariak at mariakathryn.net
Fri May 31 15:44:35 CDT 2013

Thanks Petko.

I did a search of my directory for files with BOM, but only came up with a
few pdfs.

grep -rl $'\xEF\xBB\xBF' .

I also opened and re-saved as utf-8 every file I could think of that I
might have changed, and re-copied the latest version of pmwiki. I'm
starting to get really frustrated that I can't find what is causing this.


On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Petko Yotov <5ko at 5ko.fr> wrote:

> The characters that appear on your site are 0xEF 0xBF 0xBD which is the
> standard Byte order mark (or mask). One of your *.php or *.tmpl files was
> modified and saved with BOM and it shouldn't. You should reopen it and save
> it in "UTF-8 without Byte Order Mark" (or "without BOM"), then upload them
> back to the server.
> The files which come in the PmWiki core distribution don't have Byte order
> marks. I don't know of any recipe which comes with a BOM. If I were you,
> I'd first look at the files which you have modified yourself.
> On some editors you need to go into the menu "Document" and uncheck the
> option "Write Unicode BOM". In others, select an option from the
> File-SaveAs dialog box. Or it may be elsewhere in the menus.
> Some text editors don't allow you this, but Geany, Notepad++, Kate can do
> this and they are free.
> See about BOM here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Byte_order_mark<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark>.
> Petko
> Maria McKinley writes:
>> So, I have these strange characters on my website indicating that utf-8
>> is not working properly. I was able to figure out that emacs was not saving
>> files as utf-8. Now if I create a new php file, it works fine. However, I
>> can't get rid of the weird characters on the PmWiki site. I have saved
>> config.php and a bunch of other files in utf-8 now, but nothing seems to
>> change it. They show up if I use the parchment skin (currently the skin we
>> are using) or if I switch it to the default pmwiki skin. Is it possible it
>> is something else? What other files would affect the whole site? If you
>> want to see it:
>> <URL:http://www.shadlenlab.**columbia.edu/<http://www.shadlenlab.columbia.edu/>
>> >http://www.**shadlenlab.columbia.edu/<http://www.shadlenlab.columbia.edu/>
>> This page also use to show these symbols at the bottom:
>> <URL:http://www.shadlenlab.**columbia.edu/test.php<http://www.shadlenlab.columbia.edu/test.php>
>> >http://**www.shadlenlab.columbia.edu/**test.php<http://www.shadlenlab.columbia.edu/test.php>
>> but after I changed the encoding for that file, it displays fine.
>> thanks,
>> Maria
> ______________________________**_________________
> pmwiki-users mailing list
> pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com
> http://www.pmichaud.com/**mailman/listinfo/pmwiki-users<http://www.pmichaud.com/mailman/listinfo/pmwiki-users>

Maria Mckinley
Programmer and System Administrator
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/attachments/20130531/0374cd9b/attachment.html>

More information about the pmwiki-users mailing list