[pmwiki-users] rotated pictures displaying original

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Tue Dec 10 08:24:21 CST 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Dominique Faure
<dominique.faure at gmail.com>wrote:

> > It displays rotated on my computer, but when I upload it to pmwiki and
> > display it using Attach:foo.jpg markup (I also tried with Galleria) it
> > displays the original rotation as if I had never rotated it.
>
> The problem rather comes from the way the browser takes account of the
> image rotation information usually stored in jpeg image metadata, as
> explained here...

 Thank you - you were exactly right.  I didn't want to try to change
something that would work on only a single browser so I went ahead and
found a utility that would actually rotate the picture according to the
EXIF metadata.  I used
http://www.pilpi.net/software/JPEG-EXIF_autorotate.php which mostly worked
- or at least enough to solve my problem.

Apparently win8 only changes the EXIF metadata rather than actually
rotating the image.  Thus any software that doesn't support EXIF rotation
(read: most browsers today) end up with a very frustrating mis-match
between what is viewed on the win8 computer and what is viewed in the
browser.

Sorry - I thought this was something specific to pmwiki which is why I
posted here.  I should have posted as a rant in a win8 forum... :-)

-Peter