[pmwiki-users] GoDaddy Issues with pmWiki and password protected pages.

Tamara Temple tamouse.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 09:47:19 CDT 2013

On Aug 15, 2013, at 1:45 AM, Petko Yotov <5ko at 5ko.fr> wrote:

>>> I just installed pmwiki through GoDaddy. When I try to save an edit, or
>>> enter a password to get into the administration site, instead of taking me
>>> to the appropriate webpage, I get a message that says that the server sent
>>> no data. It also says, "Error code: ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE"
>
> When I searched www.google.com for this error code, I saw a huge number of pages about it, with different software (eg. Wordpress) mostly on GoDaddy.

I've been experiencing a number of attempted attacks on my godaddy system, but luckily for me only in the main (www) subdomain. My pmwiki is in the wiki subdomain of my site so seems to be untargeted. Only a matter of time though, I suppose. For the main site, I've completely shut off comments, sign-ups, and the like, as well as putting in a lot of blocks for ranges of IPs.

Petko's recommendation is the best at this point. My sites and systems have been hacked before (the vector was the godaddy-supplied control panel, of all things). Best to grab your data, disinfect that if necessary, and wipe everything else. Then build up with the latest versions of everything if you can.