[pmwiki-users] userauth2 session data

Mon Mar 19 04:04:21 CDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM, John D. Boy <jboy at gc.cuny.edu> wrote:
> I've been very satisfied with userauth2 on my PmWiki site, which has
> been running with a fair amount of traffic (but only a half dozen user
> accounts) for over 3 months now. A few days ago, though, I noticed
> that over 10,000 files were residing in
> cookbook/userauth2/session_data. Most of the files were only a day or
> two old. I haven't made any changes to the userauth2 configuration in
> a while, and I never noticed that kind of buildup of session files
> before.
>
> Because my quota restricts me to 15,000 files in my webspace, this
> buildup of files is a problem. Any idea why so many session files are
> being created, and what I might be able to do to cap how many session
> files are stored?
>
> As a remedy, I've been running this from the command line a few times a day:
> cookbook/userauth2/session_data>$ ls -t | tail -1000 | while read
> file; do rm $file; done

Hi, John,

I was using userauth2 as well, and found the same sort of issue. I
don't have a file quota, but it was bothering me a lot. I found that
most of the problem was due to web crawler bots, as each hit seems to
start a new session. Restricting web crawlers can obviously be
problematic, but make sure you're properly using the robots.txt and
rel="nofollow" attributes in links where you can.

I've subsequently gone back to using SiteAdmin.AuthUser. Less control
than I'd like, but it has the advantage of being much more widely used
and supported in pmwiki-land than userauth2.