[pmwiki-users] Help w/ links

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Sat Jun 9 13:36:59 CDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Anthony Rodriguez <drtrod at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Within the “Culture” page, I have a link to a page titled “Hispanic Americans”: [[Culture/Hispanic Americans]].
>
> When I display the Hispanic Americans page from the link within the “Culture” page: [[Culture/Hispanic Americans]],
> n the upper left side heading within the page, there is a link labeled “Culture” that displays a page that says “The
> page "Culture" doesn't exist. (Create Culture.Culture).”

The skin you chose (I believe just the default one) displays the page
name in the top of the main page section (just to the right of the
left sidebar and below the main header).  It displays a link to the
*group* immediately above the pagename.

Groups in pmwiki are the primary way of organizing pages.  But you
cannot view a *group* as such -- you can only view pages *within* that
group.  Thus in order to "view" a *group* you view the default page
(as specified by $DefaultName) in that group.  The values of
$DefaultName are typically either "HomePage" (in which case
Culture.HomePage would be your default page within that group) or
"{$Group}" (in which case Culture.Culture is your default page for
that group -- as it is).  In this latter case A.A becomes the default
page for the group A and Xyz.Xyz becomes the default page for group
Xyz and etc.

So your page is displaying first a link to the default page in the
current group and then the name of the current page.  If you click on
the link it will take you to Culture.Culture and since that page does
not exist it gives you the message you specified.  In other words,
everything is working exactly as designed.

If you want clicking on that link to go to Anthropology.Culture then
you would have to set that up using a (:redirect ...:) within
Culture.Culture (this is more flexible - allows you to specify a
different "landing point" for each default page name) or a special
rewrite rule (this could be done a little more generally, assuming
that is the behavior you always want to happen) (See
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/CleanUrls -- I'm assuming you are
running apache).

If I've misunderstood your question or you need more details on either
of these solutions, write back...

-Peter