[pmwiki-users] PmWiki as page clipping service

Mon Feb 6 14:40:05 CST 2012

I have the desire to use PmWiki as a page clipping service (a la
evernote and others). I have been working on the addlink recipe to
make it more usable, but there are some features I'd like to add.

Instead of catching all the clips into a single page, I'd like to put
each clip into a new wiki page. I'd like to include things like links
and images from the clipped selection in the new wiki page (which
would involve sending the source of the selection rather than the just
the text, and then converting the HTML to PmWiki markup).

Ideally, I would like to be able to be able to create a wiki page for
a clipped web page in *any* group, using the group's (or site's) new
page template as a starting point for adding the clipped page. Or,
alternatively, have a ClippedPageTemplate available to use as a
starting point. (For reference, in my addlink recipe, I have a
configuration variable that the admin can set in local/config.php to
determine how the clipped data is added to the link catching page.)

The main issue for me, though, is authorization. I keep my wiki locked
down from guest authoring to avoid spam, having just the link catching
page world-writeable. In the scheme I propose, the group (or in the
alternative above, the full wiki) for catching clipped pages would
need to be world writeable, and I want to avoid this if possible. How
can I force the user to authorize, and maintain the information coming
from the clipping bookmarklet?