[pmwiki-users] It's time to change pmwiki default skin!

Carlos AB cabsec.pmwiki at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 17:40:16 CDT 2011

>> For a mobile device I would probably prefer a different menu, that is a
>> wiki
>> page other than Site.SideBar, with less selected links, eg. a topbar in a
>> single line which needs much less screen area than a full sidebar. If more
>>
>> links are required, they could be placed at the bottom of the page like on
>> the
>> other popular websites (Wordpress...).
>
> Are 'position:fixed;' elements working fine on mobile browsers? It could
> be a topbar with
>   <Menu> <Home> <Link1> <Link2> <Link3>
>
> And clicking on <Menu> could open a javascript "popup"...
>
> --
> --  Rogutės Sparnuotos

Or perhaps  just simply a link from <Menu> to the sidebar page.

The idea of not having a sidebar displayed togheter with the current
page, can look simple, attractive, functional and add the possibility
to use the same skin for more devices, using css media queries as you
said.

The template would be very, very simple and easy to customize, all the
complexity - that wouldn't be much - would be hidden in the css and
there would be no need for frameworks.

There are good examples out there, such as some of the sites Petko made, see:

http://notamment.fr/

There is one site, that I couldn't find right now, that Petko made and
related to sailing that could be used as a really good example for
that.

The front page is very rich in details about the content of the site
with links to social sites, bliki/blog posts, photo galleries and
everything is organized inside the font page. Even the columns used
for some structure (two columns) were made in PmWiki markup, if I
remember correctly.

Also, you can see people doing things like this :

http://www.ditudo.wiki.br/

To be able to see wikipedia content on small devices.

CarlosAB