[pmwiki-users] It's time to change pmwiki default skin!

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Sun Sep 18 17:34:43 CDT 2011

On 19/09/11 8:11 AM, Carlos AB wrote:
> You did put it all together nicely, but a little bit of care with the
> size and proportions would make it look better.
In particular, the body text would be more readable if the width were
narrower.
To achieve an average of 60-70 characters per line of text, which I
understand is
optimal (see for example http://baymard.com/blog/line-length-readability --
an example of tidy, minimal design, although 17pt Arial?), a width of
around 45em
is more suitable. A too narrow sidebar could be problematic. The page
above uses
a sidebar to body ratio of 1:2. It also has serif headings with sans
body. The
comments are interesting too -- in particular the suggestion to increase
the
inter-line spacing over the default value.

Bringhurst (The Elements of Typographic Style) recommends an average of 66
characters per line.

JR

--
John Rankin