[pmwiki-users] It's time to change pmwiki default skin!

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Sun Sep 18 08:13:48 CDT 2011

I think a new skin development should address the fact that more and
more users access web pages on small displays, on mobile devices, on
small phone screens, tablets and wide screen monitors.
It would be nice if a skin could accommodate all of these hugely
different screen sizes, and not burden the admin person to cater for
different  screen sizes by adding extra skins and filter mechanisms
for these skins. The skin template should filter to different css.

If the PmWiki default skin could do this, basically using perhaps
three different style sheets to cater for text screen phones, for
mobile devices like iphones, and for bigger screens like tablets and
monitors, then this would give a useful blueprint for skin developers
as well as being easy for first time installs.

That's really my biggest wish for a  modern skin.

Otherwise I just got some niggles, like (:noaction:) suppressing the
action nav links at the top, but not below the content, and fixed
pixel sizes rather than proportional sizes in the css.

Also: If the sidebar gets moved to the right, it would make it easier
to drop it below the content for devices with small widths like phones,
rather than having it appear before the page content.

  ~Hans