[pmwiki-users] PmWiki.org UTF-8 migration complete

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sun Oct 30 16:47:14 CDT 2011

On Sunday 30 October 2011 21:54:06, Oliver Betz wrote :
> Which charset is assumed for page files not containing a charset
> attribute?
> Old pages without the charset= line show wrong results for Umlauts.
>
> Therefore I guess I have to tell PmWiki the charset to assume for old
> page files without charset specification.

Pages without the charset= attribute are assumed to have the current charset
and no conversion is done. Unless a $DefaultPageCharset entry sets a default
charset.

You should set this line in config.php

  $DefaultPageCharset = array(''=>'ISO-8859-1');

For wikis in other ISO charsets, for a long time there has been a problem
because they saved the page with a wrong charset attribute. These wikis should
use, for example

  $DefaultPageCharset = array(''=>'ISO-8859-2', 'ISO-8859-1'=>'ISO-8859-2');

(if no charset, consider *-2, if charset is *-1, also consider it *-2.

This will be added in a future recipe for a UTF-8 migration, but first I need
to figure out how to fix encoded names of disk files (on PmWiki.org I did it
mostly manually).

Petko