[pmwiki-users] Proposition for a new PmWiki Skin

Rogutės Sparnuotos rogutes at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 9 02:29:02 CDT 2011

Kathryn Andersen (2011-10-09 14:12):
> Just a quick first-pass...
>
> On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 01:11:32AM +0200, Eric Forgeot wrote:
> > There is a sample there:
> > http://anamnese.online.fr/pmwiki-efo/index.php/PmWiki/PmWiki (password
> > is pmwiki)
> >
> > - The content is written with a darker and bigger font than the menu,
> > because it helps to focus more on the text.
>
> Still, the menu text is too pale.

And the link color :)

> > - The content is using a serif font (more readable). The letters are
> > maybe too big. I'll probably update this with a smaller text size in the
> > future.
>
> You should allow people to set their own text size; don't mess with
> the default size.
> Some people need very large font sizes, and others, small.
>
> > - For the CSS, I tried to use as many "em" I could, instead of "px". I
> > don't know if it's really a good thing: because of inheritance, it makes
> > it really tricky to customise the font size.
>
> Which means one shouldn't customize the font size.
>
> > - There is a logo div, and a title div. There is also a background
> > picture ready to customise, because it's probably what people need to
> > use on their website. At the moment, it's just plain blue, to match the
> > link color. It looks a bit big and empty as it is, but with a real
> > picture it's ok in my opinion.
>
> The background picture is not good, because when someone changes
> the font size, it stays the same size, and the layout looks wierd.
>
> Better to give the header div a different colour - even that same colour
> blue, because then it will scale when people change font sizes.
>
> > - For the links, I tried to follow the previous recommandations: blue,
> > with a different color for followed links (yet I must admit the
> > difference is not very noticable)
>
> Perhaps then it should be made more noticeable.
>
> > - There are some CSS3 effects. Not visible in internet explorer, but it
> > doesn't look bad either (the theme on http://paulgiacherio.kodingen.com
> > doesn't render well in IE)
>
> If you're going with some CSS3 effects, you could put a shadow on the
> header div, then you'd end up with something similar to what you get
> with your existing background image.

It's nice to see another proposal. Thanks for posting, Eric - the more
examples, the better.

But I agree with all of Kathryn's points.

In comparison to http://paulgiacherio.kodingen.com/pmwiki/pmwiki-2.2.30/,
this skin seems to have lost something. The layout seems to be less
dynamic, there is no max-width on content, and text is not resizable (full
page zoom kind of works, but text zoom doesn't).

Paul, if you are listening, would you call the percentage-grid layout of
your skin experimental (as in not suitable for a public facing website),
i.e. could it be made to work across all browsers?
As much as I would like to shout "Forget about IE6!", I believe it is not
really possible for pmwiki.org, is it? Are there any statistics telling us
how many Internet Explorer visitors come to pmwiki.org?

--
--  Rogutės Sparnuotos