[pmwiki-users] Upgrade to 2.2.35 : problem with some page using apostrophe

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sat Nov 12 18:32:40 CST 2011

On Saturday 12 November 2011 23:51:58, ABClf wrote :
> I recently upgraded my pmwiki 2.2.29 (not sure, maybe 2.2.28, some
> recent version aged before UTF8) to last 2.2.35 ;

Your wiki is now in UTF-8. :-)

You don't need to migrate to UTF-8 yet. PmWiki should work just fine with your
previous encoding. When the documentation is UTF-8, it will be converted to
your current encoding.

I obviously didn't explain it well: existing wikis need to include_once the
xlpage-utf-8.php script ONLY IF they were already running in UTF-8.

If you have recently added such a line to config.php and your wiki wasn't in
UTF-8 before, you can remove or comment out the line. The UTF-8 migration is
not yet completely operational.

> (1) I remark that the copy-pasted text hast lost its apostrophes ;
> but, the resume I wrote by myself (in green color) has kept its
> apostrophes (and they are not the same apostrophes as those who
> disappeared).

This happens because PmWiki tries to convert your existing pages from
ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8. If you disable the UTF-8 line, PmWiki wouldn't try to
convert the file and it should appear like before.

There are indeed problems with some characters such as typographical
apostrophes and dashes, and yes, they are different from normal apostrophes.
These typographical charactrers are pasted into a pmwiki page, copied from
some word-processing or publishing software, or from some blogs like Wordpress
with addons or Typo3.

We had these characters in some pages of the PmWikiPtBr group and we fixed
them manually when we migrated pmwiki.org to UTF-8.

For some reason, the browsers don't treat these characters the same way as PHP
does. The PHP iconv() function, like the `iconv` system program, appear unable
to convert these characters so that the browsers display them correctly.

I haven't had the time yet to think about how to fix them automatically in
other wikis migrating to UTF-8, but I will.

Petko

P.S. You could try to migrate to UTF-8 now, if your wiki doesn't have
international characters in page/file names. You can help me by reporting the
broken or missing characters or other problems after a converision. Read this:

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/UTF-8

But you don't need to inflict this on existing production/public websites. :-)

P.P.S. If you start a new, empty wiki, just enable UTF-8 from the beginning
and save yourself a migration in the future.