[pmwiki-users] WYSIWYG is Indispensable; Moment of Truth

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Sun May 29 03:06:59 CDT 2011

Radu Luchian wrote:

[...]

>>>I would be very happy to see a page-picker for links internal to the wiki,
>>>and slightly more user-friendly uploads. Other than this, a visual editor
>>
>> Cookbook/Attachtable is very useful.
>
>Thank you. By user-friendly I meant a table like this popping up on
>the same page as the editor, when the user presses the Attach button.

I agree. This would be especially useful for situations where you
upload the files first and then edit the page text.

"overtones" made an extension (EmbedBtn / AttachBtn) to Attachtable
doing something in this direction, I didn't try it and I don't know
how it works exactly.

If you start with the page text and don't care whether the uploaded
files keep their filenames, the current behaviour is not so bad.

Simply use reasonable file name(s) in the page text, save the page,
then click the triangle(s) and you are directed to the upload dialog.

>Maybe using Ajax, or maybe included on a hidden layer on the edit
>page- much like the Preview shows up in the Gemini set of skins.  Same
>thing for internal links. I find myself keeping 3-5 pages open when I
>edit in earnest: the edited page, a recentChanges page, the uploads
>page, and one or two documentation pages.

Correct. this can be hard for the inexperienced user. Most of them
don't even know the keyboard shortcuts to switch between windows and
tabs.

>The nutty thing about attachments in any wikis I had the pleasure to
>meet is that in order to use them, you are taken out of the context of
>editing the page and transported to a different page.

Look at the DokuWiki Media Manager.

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)