[pmwiki-users] WYSIWYG Reality Check: It Ain’t Working

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sat May 21 16:28:43 CDT 2011

On Saturday 21 May 2011 21:35:15 Al Louis Ripskis wrote:
> On May 21, 2011 3:03 Petko Yotov wrote:
> >Note that a WYSIWYG editor may eventually be written anyways and you won't
> >have to pay.
>
> Petko, can you give us the details on the above?
> By "may eventually be written" what do you mean?

"May" : http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/may
   To have permission to, be allowed.
   Expressing a present possibility; possibly.
   Expressing a wish.

"Eventually" : http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/eventually
  In the end, at last, finally, yet, ultimately.

> What time frame are we talking about? In weeks? A couple of months?
> And who will write it?

I don't have this information now (please don't ask me when I will have it).

The WYSIWYG feature is very much requested and if it is done well, it may*
break the barriers to PmWiki adoption by users unwilling or unable to read the
BasicEditing page from the documentation or even the cheatsheet under the
editing text area. It is on my todo list, but without contract deadlines, as
we spoke earlier.

That doesn't mean that nobody else could work on an implementation.

Other features, often requested and arguably very useful are UTF-8 migration +
RTL support + encode filenames, multiple file uploads, image manager (rotate,
rename, edit metadata), section editing, table of contents, PDF generation,
zip export, easier user watchlists, admin interface, notify on upload, ...
review and update the doc translation in French, ...

Some existing recipes already provide some of these functions, but only work
in some cases, or do much more than what is really needed. For example, a PDF
generator able to work with UTF-8 and with languages not based on the Latin
alphabet might be useful.

Petko