[pmwiki-users] AuthUser

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Tue May 3 14:49:52 CDT 2011

Aha! I get it.

Here's the bit about using group config files to set passwords. Turns
out it shouldn't be done:

 From http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PasswordsAdmin :
--As described in PmWiki.GroupCustomizations per-group or per-page
configuration files should _not_ be used for defining passwords. The
reason is that per-group (or per-page) customization files are only
loaded for the current page. So, if $DefaultPasswords['read'] is set in
local/GroupA.php, then someone could use a page in another group to view
the contents of pages in GroupA. For example, Main.WikiSandbox could
contain:
--(:include GroupA.SomePage:)
--and because the GroupA.php file wasn't loaded (we're looking at
Main.WikiSandbox --> local/Main.php), there's no read password set.

Here's something that looks vaguely like Peter's method. Is it still
valid, or should the docs be changed?

 From http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Passwords:
--How can I create private groups for users, so that each user can edit
pages in their group, but no one else (other than the admin) can?
--Administrators can use the AuthUser recipe and add the following few
lines to their local/config.php file to set this up:
     $group = FmtPageName('$Group', $pagename);
     $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = 'id:'.$group;
     include_once("$FarmD/scripts/authuser.php");
--This automatically gives edit rights to a group to every user who has

Overall, much as I appreciate the ability to poke around in the program,
I'm going to avoid doing so. There's too much interconnection, and no need.

Sandy