[pmwiki-users] Fwd: AuthUser

Randy Brown alongkiss at aprivatespot.com
Mon May 2 10:27:44 CDT 2011

On May 2, 2011, at 4:22 AM, James M wrote:

> ps  Perhaps this could be made explicit on the PmWiki/AuthUser webpage.

1. The page http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Passwords currently contains the following:

In PmWiki, page passwords override group passwords, group passwords override the default passwords, and the admin password overrides all passwords. This gives a great deal of flexibility in controlling access to wiki pages in PmWiki.

Maybe it would be better to say:

In PmWiki, page passwords override group passwords, group passwords override the default passwords, and the admin password overrides all passwords. Overriding replaces, rather than adds to, the  site and group settings for that permission. This gives a great deal of flexibility in controlling access to wiki pages in PmWiki.

2. You mentioned updating the AuthUser page. Since the principle of overriding applies to passwords as well as to authorization groups, maybe there should be a page called Authorizations that extracts the common elements - to which the Passwords and AuthUser pages can refer. I'm not sure how best to refactor the documentation, but I have a hunch some refactoring would improve it.

3. PmWiki's documentation is always being improved by its users. Since you have a fresh perspective, it would be wonderful if you could suggest and/or make improvements. A good place to have a discussion like this might be on the -Talk page associated with the page to be improved.

> I also want every editor to be allowed to upload. Is there any way
> of making the edit and upload permissions identical

4. To give users who have the right to edit the right to upload too, try putting this in your local configuration file:

$HandleAuth['upload'] ='edit';

Randy